At the museum you can see re-creations of shops, workshops and other workplaces. All the trades are local and all are furnished with original tools and equipment belonging to local tradesmen and professionals. Many have the original advertising signs. Printed material, photographs and other archival material about these trades are available for viewing in the archives.
The Chemist’s Shop, in the Courtyard Row of buildings, is constructed from the original cabinets, bottles and equipment from a chemist’s in Peterborough owned by the Whitwell family.
These fine examples of ceramic pestle and mortar sets were used by the Whitwells to grind ingredients for the pills and medicines which they manufactured, packaged and sold in their shop.
These bench-mounted metal lasts are located in the Cobblers Shop, which was originally owned by the Paul family of Chatteris. It has been reproduced at the Museum with the original shoe repair equipment. It even has the shoes that were left for mending and never collected.
Examples of a wheelwright’s tools, materials and finished articles are located in the Barn Annexe.
The wheelwright’s display also contains a film of how wooden cart wheels are made.
In The Trades Room Dairy display we have this hand operated oak wood butter churn on a stand. It was manufactured by the Melotte Separator Sales Co. of Bristol; we have the instructions for use, but we don’t know which local dairy used it.
The Holme village funeral bier, which was renovated by the museum, is located in the Trades Room.
GB Hyde’s Shop, located in the Tea Room area, is a representation of the store established in 1876 in Ramsey High Street, and owned by four generations of the Hyde family. This pram was purchased from the shop in 1886, rescued from a fire, and loaned to us by the owner.